Welcome to the latest recording of my Twitter Spaces. We’re definitely getting a bit better with it, though we’re still talking over each other a bit which makes it hard to transcribe.
This edition is on Personal Safety While Travelling, and I must say a couple of times within the first 15 minutes we do talk about matters of a sexual and kink nature, where I may reveal a bit too much information about random hookups. But then given the cover image associated with this episode anyway, you might already have gathered that. No barefoot backpackers were harmed in the making of this episode. We do talk about other aspects of personal safety while travelling too, including visiting warzones, making sure my mother knows I’m safe, battling the elements, and how different aspects of gender and sexual presentation change how safe I feel.
Usual disclaimer, be aware this conversation took place over the phone and is recorded via my computer’s internal audio card, so the quality won’t be as great as my normal podcast episodes. Although it’s clearly better than the previous Spaces recording. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy it!
Topics discussed include:
- My safety is affected by my privileges
- Visiting warzones and troublespots
- Travel Insurance and Government Travel Advice
- Taking safety tips from local people
- Crime statistics and local crime levels
- The safety of ‘hooking-up’ at home and abroad
- Planning many ways to scare my mother
- Keeping contact with friends and family when travelling
- Getting used to foreign currencies
- Staying safe in bad weather
- Ways my Twitter friends expect me to die
- How to preserve phone battery life
- Why sunglasses are important, even in winter
- Gender and Sexuality Presentation when travelling
- The difference between where you live and where you pass through
- Anonymity and making yourself less of a target
- Giving vague details, and why Strava is a bad idea
You can listen via the feed above, or via Spotify, or on your podcast app of choice. Let me know if it isn’t, by the way, and I’ll see what I can do. In addition, a PDF transcript of this episode will be available shortly.
As always, if you have anything to say about the topic, or indeed about my podcasting in general, leave a comment or let me know.
As usual, I was interviewed by the lovely Victoria, but you can call her V.