Welcome to Episode 35 of my “Travel Tales From Beyond The Brochure” podcast.
This episode is not about travel; it’s in the same vein as my recent episode (32) on Asexuality in that it talks about personal identity, but this one is more focused on gender rather than sexual orientation.
Part of the first half is a re-reading of my post about toxic masculinity; I realised I’d never podded it before on here and this seemed like a very apt time to talk about it, given how I then go on to how it affects the way I see myself and my own gender. As someone who’d be holistically classed as Assigned Male At Birth (AMAB), it’s always been hard to express pride in being male since there’s so much about the culture that irks me, but recently I think I’ve found a nice niche to slide into.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- It’s snowing
- Voice reels and audiobooks
- My Media Kit
- ‘Red-blooded males’ and what happens if you’re not
- “Son, You don’t Have To Fight To Be A Man”
- How women see men, and why men shouldn’t be surprised by it
- [Commercial Break]
- Gender-neutral clothing and channelling my hippie vibes
- Hairy legs and other physical attributes
- The overlap between Asexuality and questioning your gender identity
- What is non-binary and what it is not
- AMAB v AFAB aesthetics
- Representation and visibility (part 629834 of an infinite series)
- Pride flags and how to recognise them (abridged)
- “Barefoot Backpacker” as a gender-neutral real name?
You can listen via the feed above, or via Spotify, or on your podcast app of choice. Let me know if it isn’t, by the way, and I’ll see what I can do. In addition, a PDF transcript of this episode is available by clicking here.
As always, if you have anything to say about the topic, or indeed about my podcasting in general, leave a comment or let me know. There is a Facebook group for my podcast that you’re free to join: Click here!
There are no direct contributions to this episode. However I must give thanks and acknowledgement to:
- Victoria Pearson, friend and author,
- The Sounds Fake But Okay podcast for (illicit) use of a sample – don’t sue me! [though you didn’t notice in Ep32 when I did it then too!],
- The Quirkyalone Movement, and
- my friend Jax for once again providing the intro, even if this time they didn’t know about it …