Welcome to Episode 41 of my “Travel Tales From Beyond The Brochure” podcast.
Influencer Integrity. It’s a topic often discussed online, but what does it mean? Does it matter if travel bloggers spend most of their time being paid to promote products, if they’re open about it? Would you trust a travel blogger to sell you a destination? And do you have to be paid to be an influencer anyway? All these questions, and more, may not be answered. I also look at whether influencers are allowed to be critical of a destination, or even if they’re obliged to be honest to the extent of being critical, where it’s necessary.
This is the first of a two-part overview of Influencer Integrity and Responsibilities. Part Two looks more at world politics and whether where we go affects how we’re perceived.
Specific topics discussed in this episode include:
- The joy of being on antibiotics
- Meeting a friend in York for the first time in a long time
- What is an influencer anyway? Aren’t we all influencers, really?
- Recommendations and ‘are you getting a benefit from that?’
- Is it different for celebrities who do adverts?
- Press Trips and ‘when things don’t align with my brand ethics’ (part one)
- I Don’t Like Italy And This Is Why
- Other Places That Are Not Loved
- The importance of being earnest about your experiences
- Press Trips and ‘when things don’t align with my brand ethics’ (part two)
- What does The Barefoot Backpacker stand for?
You can listen via the feed above, or via Spotify, or on your podcast app of choice. Let me know if it isn’t, by the way, and I’ll see what I can do. In addition, a PDF transcript of this episode is available by clicking here.
As always, if you have anything to say about the topic, or indeed about my podcasting in general, leave a comment or let me know. There is a Facebook group for my podcast that you’re free to join: Click here!
I also now have a Patreon! If you like what you hear, and want to access exclusive content (or just to show your appreciation), then head on over to my page and donate to me!
Contributions in this episode come from:
- Morgan and Prachi from AlienEating, who seem to have disappeared from the Internet
- Kate-Frankie, from This Could Lead To Anywhere
- TravelLightBlog, who also seems to have disappeared from the Internet
- Laura, who has a blog on Medium, and
- Amanda Kendle, who is Not a Ballerina