Welcome to Episode 20 of my “Travel Tales From Beyond The Brochure” podcast.
While virus protection is keeping a large proportion of the world’s population indoors and isolated, I thought it would be good to have an episode looking at a subject noted for community, good vibes, and exercise – sport, and how people feel when they travel specifically or passively for a sporting event. I didn’t get anyone who’d travelled to take part in a sporting event – evidently while I chat a lot on Travel Twitter, I haven’t made many forays into Running Twitter.
I’ve tried to go ‘back to normal’ in this podcast episode, after a series of double-headers and more personal episodes, with an episode on a travel-related subject and contributions from friends. Admittedly the original driver for this episode was as a result of part of the conversation me and Alexei had when we were supposed to be talking about luggage, and ironically he’s not in this episode anyway, because while we talked about sport we did it more in terms of sport he liked, rather than travelling for sport. but I’ll probably make it into ‘bonus content’ later in the week.
This podcast may contain backmasking. Which specifically may be a subtweet to my mother. But then again, it may not.
Topics discussed in this episode then include:
- The efforts that Becky The Traveller is going to in order to keep active during a lockdown
- How my keeping busy and doing stuff is good for my mental health
- Why I had a waterfall in my bedroom (and why i no longer turn on the ceiling light!)
- The current lockdown regulations due to the virus
- Musings from a 7 mile barefoot run through the suburbs
- How growing up in Liverpool meant I became interested in sport by osmosis
- Stuart’s contribution: watching football in Bilbao
- Jason’s contribution: watching football in Portugal
- Watching a football match in Rome, complete with tear gas
- Shelly’s contribution: watching football in Buenos Aires
- The weird structure of Saturday afternoon football in Malta
- Ticking off the bucket list item of watching a low-tier international football match
- Riana’s contribution: watching ice-hockey in Czechia
- My ice-hockey background – from video games and TV to regular matches in Coventry
- Seeing an NHL team play in Toronto. Sort of
- A visit to the World Ice-Hockey Championships in Belarus
- Watching my first Australian Rules Football game in Perth
- Shelly’s contribution: watching the AFL v Gaelic Football competition in Ireland
- “It’s Independence Day But Who’s Got The Goat” – being bemused by Buzkashi in Kyrgyzstan
You can listen via the feed above, or via Spotify, or on your podcast app of choice 🙂 Let me know if it isn’t, by the way, and I’ll see what I can do.
As always, if you have anything to say about the topic, or indeed about my podcasting in general, leave a comment or let me know. There is a Facebook group for my podcast that you’re free to join: Click here!
Contributions this week are from: