Welcome to Episode 18 of my “Travel Tales From Beyond The Brochure” podcast.
Following on from the previous episode, where I talked about my issues with social anxiety and mental health while travelling, this episode threw the airwaves open to you, where you let me know about your experiences of mental health and travel. There’s likely to be a second episode at some point soon with more of your contributions as there’s a couple that I received too late to add in on initial release and while I was going to add them in later, a couple more of you have expressed an interest in getting involved, and I don’t want to leave anyone out.
Topics discussed in this episode then include:
- Being the voice of the apocalypse
- Breaking my Parkrun PB, again
- Why I should never be allowed near anything hot
- Chatting with distant friends
- Finding anti-depressant medication in Tunisia when the doctors are on holiday
- The need to choose destinations carefully
- Space and the ability to wind-down/chill out as/when necessary
- The importance of detailed planning and defining itineraries, for example what to do and where to eat
- Budgeting and finance
- Understanding your own needs, and contingency planning
- Experience of anxiety in her younger days
- Feelings around being offered a job in Japan at age 25
- How Japan was completely different to Australia
- How the change of environment affected her anxiety (and not the way you’d imagine)
- Where her PTSD came from
- Re-learning ‘how’ to travel, especially solo
- Planning and research in detail to mitigate PTSD, especially local travel
- The need to ‘feel’ safe in different environments
- How to mitigate when things don’t go to plan
- ‘Grounding’ and connecting with your senses
- Making sure ‘in the moment’ you know you can talk to people, or defend yourself if necessary
- The stress of feeling you need to ‘keep going’ in the face of everything else
- The importance of rest
- Self-awareness and fitness
- Travel takes you away from day-to-day life, which can be a good thing mentally
- When you need to travel for work
- Mental Health Self Care
- Part Time Travel and life-balance
- The benefits of Solo or small group trips
- All destinations work, but nature feels important for mental health
You can listen via the feed above, or via Spotify, or on your podcast app of choice 🙂 Let me know if it isn’t, by the way, and I’ll see what I can do.
As always, if you have anything to say about the topic, or indeed about my podcasting in general, leave a comment or let me know. There is a Facebook group for my podcast that you’re free to join: Click here!
Contributions this week are from:
- Hannah at ‘Pages, Places, and Plates’
- Amanda from ‘Not a Ballerina’
- Leanna at ‘Lost Lass’, who co-hosts the MxV Mental Wellness Podcast
- Kate-Frankie from ‘This Could Lead To Anywhere’,
- and once again, my website-less Swedish friend Inga.